|Finished Italian smalti mosaic of an anatomical heart|
When I began work on this mosaic I started by reading through the heart section of my husband's anatomy books. I'm a pretty literal person and wanted to make sure that the heart was mostly anatomically correct and my color choices didn't stray too far from how the heart works. I spent quite a bit of time thinking and planning the project, finally painting it in watercolors to get comfortable with the shading and color gradients.
|The watercolor inspired by my reading|
This was my first time working with Wedi board as a substrate. Wedi board has a foam core and is much lighter than the wood. It was a little difficult to sketch on but very easy to apply thinset to. It was amazing to work with all of the colors of Orsoni Italian smalti and larger rotti. I tried to really pay attention to the flow and size of each of the pieces, changing up the shape when it came to the background.
|My progress on the anatomical heart mosaic|
It's finished and I hope she loves it and I hope she knows how much we love her. Happy Birthday Cece!
|Happy Birthday Cece!|