Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cherry Blossom Sakura Flowers Fused Glass Antique Window

Cherry blossoms in opaque shades of pink bloom on branches of transparent brown and amber glass, framed by an antique window. 

Cherry Blossom Sakura Art Flower Fused Stained Glass Antique Window Hanging Pane Bullseye
Fused Glass Pink Cherry Blossoms in an Antique Window Frame

To create the branches, I layered opaque thin strips of chocolate brown glass with course chunks of transparent amber glass and assorted light brown frits.  These bits were arranged on 1/8 inch fiber paper and taken to a full fuse in my JenKen kiln.  I had not tried this before and found the resulting branches to have this layered bark-like look, very cool.  

Cherry Blossom Sakura Art Flower Fused Stained Glass Antique Window Hanging Pane Bullseye Frit Full Fuse Branch Construction
Fused Glass Bullseye Frit Arranged into Branches Before and After Firing
Cherry Blossom Sakura Art Flower Fused Stained Glass Antique Window Hanging Pane Bullseye Frit Full Fuse Branch Transparency Construction
A Close-up of the Full Fused Frit Branch

Each cherry blossom petal was cut, shaped, arranged and re-arranged until I liked the overall symmetry.  I used 5 different colors for the petals and it was difficult to visualize the end result because some of the colors shifted after firing.  I'm not sure I should have paired the salmon with the rose pink, but the colors in the finished window don't feel wrong.

Cherry Blossom Sakura Art Flower Fused Stained Glass Antique Window Hanging Pane Petal Curious Bullseye Color Strike Shift
Pink Cherry Blossom Petals of Bullseye Glass Before and After Firing

This window was a huge challenge.  I usually over plan and calculate to avoid any issued after firing, but I still got some internal cracks around some of the rose pink petals.  You can't feel the crack from eihter side, but you can see it if you tilt your head at just right and the light passes through just so. 

A Internal Stress Crack After Firing.

I'm afraid to sell this window on my Etsy site.  After all my disappointment in a project that didn't go as planned, my husband just decided to hang it in our living room.  No one seems to notice the flaw.